Optically and acoustically triggerable sub-micron phase-change contrast agents for enhanced photoacoustic and ultrasound imaging
Harriss, Bethany I.
Matsunaga, Terry O.
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Dept Med Imaging
KeywordsPhase-change contrast agent
Multispectral optoacoustic tomography (MSOT)
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherELSEVIER GMBH, URBAN & FISCHER VERLAG
CitationOptically and acoustically triggerable sub-micron phase-change contrast agents for enhanced photoacoustic and ultrasound imaging 2017, 6:26 Photoacoustics
Rights© 2017 The Authors. Published by Elsevier GmbH. This is an open access article under the CC BY license.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractWe demonstrate a versatile phase-change sub-micron contrast agent providing three modes of contrast enhancement: 1) photoacoustic imaging contrast, 2) ultrasound contrast with optical activation, and 3) ultrasound contrast with acoustic activation. This agent, which we name 'Cy-droplet', has the following novel features. It comprises a highly volatile perfluorocarbon for easy versatile activation, and a near-infrared optically absorbing dye chosen to absorb light at a wavelength with good tissue penetration. It is manufactured via a 'microbubble condensation' method. The phase-transition of Cy-droplets can be optically triggered by pulsed-laser illumination, inducing photoacoustic signal and forming stable gas bubbles that are visible with echo-ultrasound in situ. Alternatively, Cy-droplets can be converted to microbubble contrast agents upon acoustic activation with clinical ultrasound. Potentially all modes offer extravascular contrast enhancement because of the sub-micron initial size. Such versatility of acoustic and optical 'triggerability' can potentially improve multi-modality imaging, molecularly targeted imaging and controlled drug release. (C) 2017 The Authors. Published by Elsevier GmbH.
NoteOpen access journal.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsImperial College-China Scholarship Council (CSC) scholarship; Cancer Research UK Multi-Disciplinary Project [C53470/A22353]; Cancer Research UK Cancer Imaging Centre at the Institute of Cancer Research; Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council Strategic Equipment Grant [EP/N015266/1]; National Institutes of Health Grant [CA185684]
CollectionsUA Faculty Publications
- Vaporization of perfluorocarbon droplets using optical irradiation.
- Authors: Strohm E, Rui M, Gorelikov I, Matsuura N, Kolios M
- Issue date: 2011 Jun 1
- Photoacoustic and ultrasound imaging using dual contrast perfluorocarbon nanodroplets triggered by laser pulses at 1064 nm.
- Authors: Hannah AS, VanderLaan D, Chen YS, Emelianov SY
- Issue date: 2014 Sep 1
- Indocyanine green-loaded photoacoustic nanodroplets: dual contrast nanoconstructs for enhanced photoacoustic and ultrasound imaging.
- Authors: Hannah A, Luke G, Wilson K, Homan K, Emelianov S
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 28
- Acoustic and photoacoustic molecular imaging of cancer.
- Authors: Wilson KE, Wang TY, Willmann JK
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Acoustic and photoacoustic characterization of micron-sized perfluorocarbon emulsions.
- Authors: Strohm EM, Gorelikov I, Matsuura N, Kolios MC
- Issue date: 2012 Sep