ABOUT THE COLLECTION

Desert Plants is a unique botanical journal published by The University of Arizona for Boyce Thompson Southwestern Arboretum. This journal is devoted to encouraging the appreciation of indigenous and adapted arid land plants. Desert Plants publishes a variety of manuscripts intended for amateur and professional desert plant enthusiasts. A few of the diverse topics covered include desert horticulture, landscape architecture, desert ecology, and history. First published in 1979, Desert Plants is currently published biannually with issues in June and December.

Digital access to this material is made possible by the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Boyce Thompson Southwestern Arboretum, and the University Libraries at the University of Arizona.


QUESTIONS?

Contact College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Publications at pubs@cals.arizona.edu.


Table of Contents

Recent Submissions

  • A Debt to the Future: Achievement of the Desert Laboratory, Tumamoc Hill, Tucson, Arizona

    Bowers, Janice E.; US Geological Survey (University of Arizona (Tucson, AZ), 2010-06)
    In 1903 the Carnegie Institution of Washington established a Desert Laboratory on Tumamoc Hill, Tucson, Arizona. For the next thirty-seven years the Desert Laboratory was the site of pioneering research into the biology and ecology of desert Plants and animals. More than sixty scientists who worked on Tumamoc Hill published some 350 papers and books based on research there. William A. Cannon and Volney M. Spalding share credit for successfully launching the new facility. Daniel T. MacDougal, who became the first director in 1906, hired an enthusiastic, able staff and recruited many visiting scientists. His untiring promotional efforts gave the laboratory a national reputation, and when he transferred his research projects to a second laboratory at Carmel, California, the Desert Laboratory entered a nine year decline. Promotion of Forrest Shreve to head the laboratory in 1928 brought about a renewed focus on the ecology of desert plants. The Carnegie Institution closed the facility in 1940, ostensibly because of the depression and consequent financial cutbacks, but actually because institution administrators no longer found it worthwhile to support descriptive ecological research.
  • Desert Plant Food

    Groen, Jean; Wells, Don; Wells/Groen Publishing Company (University of Arizona (Tucson, AZ), 2010-06)
  • Note from the Director

    Siegwarth, Mark; Boyce Thompson Southwestern Arboretum (University of Arizona (Tucson, AZ), 2010-06)
  • The Boyce Thompson Arboretum and the Boys of the CCC

    Mahan, Don M. (University of Arizona (Tucson, AZ), 2010-06)
  • Desert Plants and their Exudates

    Santiago-Blay, Jorge A.; Lambert, Joseph B.; Department of Paleobiology, MRC-121, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institute; Department of Chemistry, Northwestern University (University of Arizona (Tucson, AZ), 2010-06)
  • Desert Plants, Volume 26, Number 1 (June 2010)

    Unknown author (University of Arizona (Tucson, AZ), 2010-06)