Field Observations on Changes in the Subsurface Water Regime During Influent Seepage in the Santa Cruz River

Persistent Link:
http://hdl.handle.net/10150/314233
Title:
Field Observations on Changes in the Subsurface Water Regime During Influent Seepage in the Santa Cruz River
Author:
Wilson, L. G.; DeCook, K. J.
Affiliation:
Water Resources Research Center; Water Resources Research Center
Issue Date:
15-Apr-1968
URI:
http://hdl.handle.net/10150/314233
Abstract:
Field studies were conducted during the winter 1965-1966 at an instrumented research site near Tucson, Arizona, to characterize changes in the subsurface water regime of the stratified sediments at the site during influent seepage in the Santa Cruz River. At the peak of recharge from the principal runoff event of the winter, observation well data accounted for 33 percent of the observed total change in the subsurface water content. The remaining 67 percent, observed by means of moisture logs in access tubes, was contained in two near-saturated mounds in the intermediate vadose zone. Slow drainage of water from these mounds into the semi-confined phreatic zone apparently reduced the rates of recession of observation well hydrographs. Water content changes in the intermediate vadose zone and related long-term drainage should be accounted for during water balance studies and aquifer testing in the Tucson Basin.
Language:
en_US

Full metadata record

DC FieldValue Language
dc.contributor.authorWilson, L. G.en_US
dc.contributor.authorDeCook, K. J.en_US
dc.date.accessioned2014-03-19T02:39:43Z-
dc.date.available2014-03-19T02:39:43Z-
dc.date.issued1968-04-15-
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10150/314233-
dc.description.abstractField studies were conducted during the winter 1965-1966 at an instrumented research site near Tucson, Arizona, to characterize changes in the subsurface water regime of the stratified sediments at the site during influent seepage in the Santa Cruz River. At the peak of recharge from the principal runoff event of the winter, observation well data accounted for 33 percent of the observed total change in the subsurface water content. The remaining 67 percent, observed by means of moisture logs in access tubes, was contained in two near-saturated mounds in the intermediate vadose zone. Slow drainage of water from these mounds into the semi-confined phreatic zone apparently reduced the rates of recession of observation well hydrographs. Water content changes in the intermediate vadose zone and related long-term drainage should be accounted for during water balance studies and aquifer testing in the Tucson Basin.en_US
dc.language.isoen_USen
dc.sourceWater Resources Research Center. The University of Arizona.en_US
dc.titleField Observations on Changes in the Subsurface Water Regime During Influent Seepage in the Santa Cruz Riveren_US
dc.contributor.departmentWater Resources Research Centeren_US
dc.contributor.departmentWater Resources Research Centeren_US
dc.description.collectioninformationThis item is part of the Water Resources Research Center collection. It was digitized from a physical copy provided by the Water Resources Research Center at The University of Arizona. For more information about items in this collection, please contact the Center, (520) 621-9591 or see http://wrrc.arizona.edu.en_US
All Items in UA Campus Repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.