The University of Arizona Campus Repository > Organizations > Geosciences > Geosciences Theses and Dissertations > Geosciences Theses >
Paleocurrents and Depositional Environments of the Dakota Group (Cretaceous), San Miguel County, New Mexico
- Persistent Link:
- Paleocurrents and Depositional Environments of the Dakota Group (Cretaceous), San Miguel County, New Mexico
- Issue Date:
- Copyright © is held by the author. Digital access to this material is made possible by the Antevs Library, Department of Geosciences, and the University Libraries, University of Arizona. Further transmission, reproduction or presentation (such as public display or performance) of protected items is prohibited except with permission of the author or the department.
- Collection Information:
- This item is part of the Geosciences Theses collection. It was digitized from a physical copy provided by the Antevs Library, Department of Geosciences, University of Arizona. For more information about items in this collection, please email the Antevs Library, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Dakota Group surrounding Las Vegas, New Mexico, consists of three units: 1) a basal, predominately trough cross-stratified, conglomeratic sandstone, 2) middle intercalated, thin-bedded sandstone and carbonaceous shale, and 3) upper, predominately tabular-planar cross-stratified, sandstone containing trace fossils. These units represent, respectively, 1) a fluvial piedmont plain, 2) fluvial coastal plain, and 3) a beach, littoral, and shallow marine complex. The cross-stratification in the lower sandstone unit indicates an easterly paleoslope. The cross-stratification in the upper sandstone unit has a bimodal distribution almost at right angles to the paleoslope, suggesting deposition by longshore currents. The standard deviation of the cross-stratification in the lower sandstone unit of 78° is typical of fluvial deposits. The standard deviation in the upper sandstone unit of 97° indicates a marine origin.
- text; Thesis-Reproduction (electronic)
- Degree Name:
- Degree Level:
- Degree Program:
- Degree Grantor:
- University of Arizona
- Committee Chair:
- Wilson, Richard F.
Full metadata record
All Items in UA Campus Repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.