The University of Arizona Campus Repository > Organizations > Geosciences > Geosciences Theses and Dissertations > Geosciences Theses >
Provenance and Petrofacies, Upper Devonian Sandstones, Philip Smith Mountains and Arctic Quadrangles Brooks Range, Alaska
- Persistent Link:
- Provenance and Petrofacies, Upper Devonian Sandstones, Philip Smith Mountains and Arctic Quadrangles Brooks Range, Alaska
- Issue Date:
- Copyright © is held by the author. Digital access to this material is made possible by the Antevs Library, Department of Geosciences, and the University Libraries, University of Arizona. Further transmission, reproduction or presentation (such as public display or performance) of protected items is prohibited except with permission of the author or the department.
- Collection Information:
- This item is part of the Geosciences Theses collection. It was digitized from a physical copy provided by the Antevs Library, Department of Geosciences, University of Arizona. For more information about items in this collection, please email the Antevs Library, email@example.com.
- A petrographic study of upper Devonian sandstones (Endicott and Hammond Terranes), Philip Smith Mountains and Arctic quadrangles, Brooks Range, Alaska, shows that the sand-sized detritus was derived from two petrographic provenances. Detrital modes, calculated from point counts of thin sections, show that the provenance for the Devonian clastic wedge (Endicott Terrane) was a recycled orogenic belt with major components of quartz, chert, and lithic fragments. Three petrofacies are distinguished. Their distribution indicates compositional changes vertically and laterally which reflect changing compositions in the source area. A petrographically different provenance supplied the sandstones that overlie the Skajit Limestone (Hammond Terrane). Characterized by high feldspar and abundant volcanic rock fragments, this petrofacies indicates first-cycle deposition close to the source area. A magmatica arc provenance is suggested.
- text; Thesis-Reproduction (electronic)
- Degree Name:
- Degree Level:
- Degree Program:
- Degree Grantor:
- University of Arizona
- Committee Chair:
- Coney, Peter J.
Full metadata record
All Items in UA Campus Repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.