The University of Arizona Campus Repository > Organizations > Geosciences > Geosciences Theses and Dissertations > Geosciences Theses >
Upper Cretaceous Palynomorphs from Coal Canyon, Coconino County, Arizona
- Persistent Link:
- Upper Cretaceous Palynomorphs from Coal Canyon, Coconino County, Arizona
- Issue Date:
- Copyright © is held by the author. Digital access to this material is made possible by the Antevs Library, Department of Geosciences, and the University Libraries, University of Arizona. Further transmission, reproduction or presentation (such as public display or performance) of protected items is prohibited except with permission of the author or the department.
- Collection Information:
- This item is part of the Geosciences Theses collection. It was digitized from a physical copy provided by the Antevs Library, Department of Geosciences, University of Arizona. For more information about items in this collection, please email the Antevs Library, email@example.com.
- The coal-bearing Dakota Sandstone at Coal Canyon, Arizona, which is located in the western portion of the Black Mesa basin, has yielded abundant, diverse, and generally well-preserved spores, pollen, and microplankton. The formation is characterized by high frequencies of fern spores, especially striate spores belonging to the Schizaeaceae, and angiospermous pollen consisting primarily of simple tricolpate and tricolporate grains. Gymnospermous pollen is comparatively uncommon. The microflora assemblage contains many exclusively Cretaceous species previously reported from Australia, western Europe, Siberia, and other localities of North America. A microflora which compares closely with the Dakota assemblage occurs in the Woodbine strata of Oklahoma. On the basis of palynologic evidence, the age of the Dakota Sandstone at Coal Canyon, is interpreted as lowermost Upper Cretaceous (Cenomanian).
- text; Thesis-Reproduction (electronic)
- Degree Name:
- Degree Level:
- Degree Program:
- Degree Grantor:
- University of Arizona
- Committee Chair:
- Kremp, Gerhard O. W.
Full metadata record
All Items in UA Campus Repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.