The University of Arizona Campus Repository > Organizations > Geosciences > Geosciences Theses and Dissertations > Geosciences Theses >
Geologic Interpretations of a Siliceous Breccia in the Colossal Cave Area, Pima County, Arizona
- Persistent Link:
- Geologic Interpretations of a Siliceous Breccia in the Colossal Cave Area, Pima County, Arizona
- Issue Date:
- Copyright © is held by the author. Digital access to this material is made possible by the Antevs Library, Department of Geosciences, and the University Libraries, University of Arizona. Further transmission, reproduction or presentation (such as public display or performance) of protected items is prohibited except with permission of the author or the department.
- Collection Information:
- This item is part of the Geosciences Theses collection. It was digitized from a physical copy provided by the Antevs Library, Department of Geosciences, University of Arizona. For more information about items in this collection, please email the Antevs Library, email@example.com.
- In the Colossal Cave area, Pima County, Arizona, massive blocks of Paleozoic sedimentary rocks have been thrust from a southerly direction over an irregular surface of Rincon Valley granite of Laramide age. The Paleozoic rocks involved in the thrusting are the Bolsa quartzite, Abrigo formation, Martin limestone, Escabrosa limestone, Horquilla limestone, and Andrada formation. The Pantano formation (Miocene ?) is also present under the thrust sheet. The thrusting is of an imbricate nature with slip-page mainly teaking place along incompetent rock units. Large folds occur in the Escabrosa limestone and Horquilla lime-stone. A siliceous breccia is associated with thrust planes in the area. The competent units of the Paleozoic sediments were fractured and brecciated along the thrust planes. Solutions dissolved part of the silica and hematite from the Bolsa quartzite and deposited it in the fractured and brecciated zones.
- text; Thesis-Reproduction (electronic)
- Degree Name:
- Degree Level:
- Degree Program:
- Degree Grantor:
- University of Arizona
Full metadata record
All Items in UA Campus Repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.